Quote Me On This!

Comments on things I find interesting and compelling enough to make me write. I look forward to your thoughtful comments.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunnyvale, California, United States

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Laws of Argumentation

I must confess I like getting into arguments. Not of the violent, virulent kind. Just pointless (or sometimes with a point) debates that keep both sides entertained during the time they last. If it provokes further thoughts and leads to further arguments, even better. Thankfully, it is surprisingly easy to start one. Whenever I'm in the mood (for an argument that is), I just have to throw a harmless stray comment on anything and there would be someone in the audience ready to take up arms against my "stand".

I generally prefer that useful arguments should lead to a conclusion - a set of ideas agreed upon by both sides and possibly another set on which they have agreed to disagree (Ideally this set should be null if the brainstorming has been sufficient and egos are not involved).
  1. It is not jihad. So take it easy and do not involve your egos if you want to have fun!
  2. An argument is valid if it does not contradict what you have agreed upon earlier. OR. If the new argument contradicts a previous stance, you choose to forgo the earlier argument in light of new knowledge.
  3. Disagreement without valid reason is not allowed. If you have an opinion, you have a reason. No opinion without reason.
I believe these rules should almost always result in arguments that end with some common ground. Of course, if you don't agree with the rules, we can sit down for a lively argument :D

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home